Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport, also referred to as Lovell Field with CHA as an airport code, is located 5 miles east from downtown Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee. Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport Authority operates and owns the airport. It is categorized as a Class C airport, a small-hub primary commercial service facility.
Lovell Field is positioned on 950 acres land and has two runways: 2/20 is a 7,400 x 150 ft 2/20, and a 5,575 x 150 ft 15/33.
Its ramp is in two locations, one on the Northern side of the terminal and the other to the south. They are also referred to as Air South and Air North.
The main terminal consists of one concourse and five gates. Delta Air Lines, United Express, Allegiant Air and American Eagle offer services here.
The city of Chattanooga changed the location of its airport to support growth. Previously, the air travels were conducted from Marr Field, found north of Glass Street in East Chattanooga, between the railroad and Dodson Avenue.
Marr Field has started construction because of the effort of the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce in 1919. Walter L. Marr was an engineer of the auto industry who worked on the project, and so got the field named for him. Ultimately, he left the job for the tranquility of a house on Signal Mountain but remained to be associated with several business projects.
Multiple airplane crashes, some fatal, slandered the name of Marr Field. The mixture of the airport's location and out of date equipment were recipes for failure. In March 1927, an airplane dived 150 feet straight to the ground as the crowd watched, and just a year later, in 1928, Interstate Airline's airmail plane crashed and killed four men, which led to many allegations made by investigations, officials, and remedies over the following couple of years.
The 1928 improvements done at Marr Field did not impress everyone, so Mayor Ed Bass began searching for a new place. The Chattanooga Times published on April 24, 1929, that Lovell Field would be the new airports' name.
Lovell Field was used as a military training site During World War II. Due to the growth in aviation in the 50s, airport operations were transferred to the City of Chattanooga. The terminal building was extended in 1950 and 1955 and later replaced by a new facility in 1964.
Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport Authority took control over the airports in July 1985.
By 2017, 90% of the airport's electricity was provided by the solar farm, located on the southwest edge of the airfield. The farm was implemented in 2011 and extended with more megawatts in the summer of 2013.
The biggest planes currently serving the airport are the MD-80 and A320 Lines flown by Delta Air Lines and Allegiant Air. In 1995, Delta had withdrawn from the airport after 48 years of service. They returned to resume flights to Chattanooga with DC-9 in 2012.